Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

New Year’s Leadership Resolutions

Every year I make several resolutions that seem to go nowhere.  I start off with every intention to do them, but for one reason, or another, they never get done.  Well this year is going to be much different.  I am going to resolve to change several things in my life to help me build the leader within.  Here is my list for this year:
  1. Physical Readiness – This past year has been a tough one with respect to my physical readiness.  My age and poor diet choices have finally started taking their toll on my health.  This year I am going to change this by eating right and exercising at least 5 times per week.  As part of improving my health I have decided to lose another 40 pounds before June 1st, 2011.  Getting control of my diet and exercise will have many benefits, but the reduction of my stress levels will do wonders for my leadership abilities.
  2.  Better Listener – One thing I have never been good at is listening.  Throughout my career I have always said what was on my mind and it was usually when I should have been listening.  In 2011 I vow to improve my listening skills to show the people around me that their opinions matter.
  3. Read Widely – Dr. Howard Lacey, Professor Emeritus Concordia University, used to always tell me that good leaders were well read and I tried to spend a lot of time reading everything I could get my hands on.  Over the last few years I have not been as diligent in my reading.  I am going to change all of that in 2011 and replace television time with reading.
  4. Service – I am dedicating the rest of my life to serving others.  I am convinced that service to others, expecting nothing in return, is the only way to success.  God, my family, and my employer deserve to have my service and I vow to give it.
I hope everyone develops a realistic set of smart goals this year and I would like to hear about them if you get time to comment to this posting.  I hope the coming year is one of the best you have ever experienced and you are able develop the leader within.

May God Bless You!

No comments:

Post a Comment