Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Moral Leadership

     Last night was my last class in Leadership of Self which is part of my MBA program at Concordia University Texas and the focus centered on Moral Leadership. Our professor Dr. Don Christian asked us to share our thoughts on what we felt was the definition of Moral Leadership and the discussions that followed were pretty amazing.  Dr. Christian also mentioned that many times when a discussion takes place on Morals it usually ends up on death, murder, and various forms of abuse.  The question I thought about for most of the night is why do discussions on morals end up being about death, murder, and abuse?  I think I might have an answer and would like to share it with everyone here with hopes that I will get some good comments.
     I think our society’s morals have changed so much, and so many things that used to be immoral are now accepted, that we have become jaded.  Watch one night of television, listen to the radio, watch the evening news, and you can quickly see that our society, as a whole, is accepting of many things once thought unacceptable.  Television is glamorizing many things that not long ago were shunned by society.  Reality television lets us see people in all kinds of acts that only ten years ago would have had serious consequences for the broadcaster.  With the moral fiber of our country being manipulated to try to make us think these things are acceptable it will take strong leaders in families, workplaces, and communities to keep our compasses headed in the right direction.  So many bad things have become the norm that when a discussion starts up about morals the only things that everyone can agree on being unacceptable are death, murder, and abuse.
     Last night when the discussion started the thing that jumped into my mind was Enron.  I thought about the blatant disregard for what is right and wrong.  I think there are so many things that we can work on with respect to morals that fall well under the death issue.  I think everyone, less the mentally disable, would agree that murder is not acceptable.  We need to work on the other issues that are quickly eroding our quality of life and are more in our control.
     One of the ways I can help is for others to see great examples of Moral Leadership in me.  I hope to do that for the rest of my leadership journey.  Will anyone do the same?
     Have a very Merry Christmas.  Yes, I said Christmas!  It will always be Christmas to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment