Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Tomorrow's Leaders

Through the years I've heard many people say things like, "I can't do anything about this because I'm not in charge" or " if I were in charge we would do this a lot  different."  I think you can make a difference no matter where you serve your organization.  Most organizations know the only way to be successful in today's highly competitive markets is to empower their employees.  The old days of a manager dictating every move the employees make are over.

Several year ago I read a really good book titled, MENTAL DYNAMICS, POWER THINKING for PERSONAL SUCCESS.  The author, K. Thomas Finley, offers several suggestions for developing personal power through leadership.  Here are a few of his pointers for you to think about:

1.  Set realistic personal goals.  Remember that motivation is essential to success.
2.  Recognize your own strengths and weaknesses.  Build on your strengths.  Try to correct your    weaknesses.
3.  Know how to be a good follower as well a a good leader.

There are 7 more pointers in Mr. Finley's book for you to review, but what I think is important to take away from all of it is we must have goals.  Goals motivate us to reach a certain level and without them we have no frame of reference.  Over the next few weeks I am going to be discussing goals and their importance to us as leaders.

1 comment:

  1. You are good, Terry! It is time to write your own book! I will be your first reader :)

    ReplyDelete